SCONES are the easiest British teatime treat. You can bake them with dried fruit, sultanas or a pinch of mixed spice to make it special for you. But let me show you the basics about baking scones:
Preparation time: 30 min approximately
Baking time: 15 to 30 min. (it depends on the oven)
Serves: 10 scones
225 gr. self-raising flour
A pinch of salt
55 gr butter
25 gr caster sugar
150 ml milk
To glaze you can use some milk or one beaten egg.
- Heat the oven to 220ºC. Grease a baking sheet
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2 cm thick. Use a 5 cm or 2 inches cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Leave it on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with butter and jam and enjoy them with a nice cup of tea.